Sometimes, you just feel like baking something that is simple and feels more close to home. Rather than extravagant cakes, traditional cakes just gets you in the mood for a little baking in the kitchen. In that case, we bring you a recipe for Pandan Layered Cake. We use pandan for most of our traditional dish, so why not use it for baking too?
We are pretty sure making this cake won’t be a hassle as there are many of us Malaysians that have a Pandan bush in our backyard or around our neighborhood. It’s a local and traditional natural flavouring that many people love. Guaranteed to hit the right spot of your local palates, put that Pandan bush to use and let’s make a Pandan Layered Cake out of it!
Ingredients for Cake:
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
40g caster sugar (A)
80g caster sugar (B)
80g corn oil
80ml pandan juice (A)
120g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
Ingredients for Filling:
500ml coconut milk
1 pack of Hoen Kwe flour (85g)
1/2 tsp salt
170g caster sugar
4 tsp agar – agar powder
4 tsp instant jelly powder
600ml pandan juice (B)
Now, let’s get into making the cake. Be sure to follow our steps carefully.
1. Blend the mixture of 250ml water and 8 pieces of pandan leaves.
2. Filter the juice and fill water to 680ml.
3. Whisk 4 egg yolks, 40g caster sugar, 80ml pandan juice, 80g corn oil, 120g flour, 1/2 tbs baking powder together until well combined.
4. Beat 4 egg white.
5. Add 1/8 tbs of tartar cream and 80g caster sugar.
6. Beat until foam peaks.
7. Mix with the pandan mixture.
8. Bake at 40°c for 5o minutes and 160°c for 10 minutes.
9. Cut the cake into 4 layers.
10. To make pandan filling, mix 500 ml coconut milk, hoen kwe flour and 1/2 tbs salt.
11. Add 120g sugar, 4 tbs jelly and agar powder, 600ml pandan juice together for the second filling.
12. Cook both of the mixtures together.
13. Spread the filling evenly at the bottom.
14. Add the cake layer.
15. Repeat the process.
16. Chill in the fridge until solid.
After you are done with all the steps, all that is left to do is to enjoy your super tasty Pandan Layered Cake! Serve them to your family and friends, guaranteed they will shower you with tons of compliments.
With our guidance, you can get yourself a failed-proof and yummy dessert. Take the pressure off yourself and bake worry-free. However, if you have any confusions or inquiries, we are always ready to help.
In the meantime, if you are an aspiring baker and curious to explore more about the baking world or want to know more about dessert recipes and tips and tricks, you can head on over here or browse through an array of both of our online and offline classes. If you’re a social media enthusiast, you can stay updated through our Facebook.