It can be a hard life for an aspiring baker without an oven. So many desserts may seem so close but just out of reach. After all, kitchen appliances are expensive and microwaves are just more convenient to everyday life.
But why limit yourself to just microwavable desserts?
Here are 7 dessert recipes that you don’t need an oven for that uses all kinds of techniques, including the microwave!
Eggless Dark Chocolate Mousse
Mousse is great because it has all the fun of chocolate cake with less of the ingredients!
A dash of coffee with this recipe simply brings out the natural flavour of dark chocolate as well.
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 ½ tbs coffee
- 1 cup heavy whip cream chilled
- ½ tps vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Cinnamon powder
- Fruits and berries
- Shave the chocolate with a grater into a heat-resistant mixing bowl and add coffee and butter.
- Using a double boiler method, melt the mixture together gently thoroughly. Then leave the mixture to cool until room temperature.
- Whip the cream until you get stiff peaks but take care not to over-whip! Or you will churn your cream to butter. Then add your vanilla extract and whip it again until it’s mixed.
- You can now separate around ¼ your whipped cream into another bowl and keep the smaller portion in the fridge.
- Finally, with a spatula, gently fold the cooled chocolate mixture together with the remaining whipped cream.
- You have made your mousse!
- Now you can simply pour your mousse into serving containers and chill them for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Once your delish dish has set, you can use your remaining whipped cream to dress your dessert through a piping bag along with other desired toppings.
- You can now serve them into eager, grabby hands and enjoy!
Leche Flan Puto
Traditionally made with rice flour, this puto recipe works well with all-purpose flour as well.
This adapted recipe combines the Spanish flan with the Philipine puto for a cheerily yellow dessert that is addictably light and sweet. Just a touch of rose essence also makes it fragrant enough to taste spring!
*recommended use of silicone mould
Mix A (Leche Flan)
- 280g condensed milk
- 5 eggs (yolks only)
- 4 yolks
- 1 whole
Mix B (Puto)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 130g milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tps rose essence (optional)
- 1 tbs melted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar (optional for topping)
- Create your Mix A by combining the condensed milk and egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Create your Mix B by combining the flour, egg, baking powder, milk, salt, sugar and rose essence.
- (Optional topping) In a saucepan, caramelise the ½ cup of sugar by melting it over medium heat until it becomes a golden-brown colour of amber. Then pour this syrup just enough to cover the bottom of your silicone mould(s).
Note: You can be a bit more generous if you are using a large mould such as a 6” (or larger) mould or a ramekin.
- Using the melted butter, grease your mould and pour in your Mix A until it is ⅓ filled. Steam for 5 minutes so that the leche flan has become firm but not yet fully cooked.
- Now quickly but carefully pour in your Mix B but leave at least 1/4 height of your mould for the puto to rise. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Finally cool and place in the fridge until the caramel hardens. Carefully remove it from the mould and serve!
Your syrup will likely melt quickly forming a pool around your leche flan puto and that’s fine!
Cookies and Cream Mug Cake
Of course that can’t really be a list like this without having some microwave recipes.
Many people love the cookies and cream flavour, so here’s a simple mug cake recipe for you! Mug cakes are quick and easy fun for people that just want a dessert without all the hassle.
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp granulated white sugar
- 3 Oreos, crushed
- Optional Toppings
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Crushed Oreos
- Cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Create your Dry Mix and Wet Mix.
- Mix them together thoroughly and microwave for 60 seconds until cooked all the way.
- Decorate with your prefered toppings and dig in!